Thursday, April 2, 2009

The Dead, Who Scream for Revenge.

Came around a curve and there they were, the one I was about to kill, and his companion. Two chihuahuas off on a sweep, still up on the curb, but headed into the road. Mine dropped down onto the pavement. The other one hesitated.

Lucky hesitation, little chihuahua!

They had both heard the noise of the car and had turned to look. The one in the road quickened. He saw what was about to happen. I slammed on the brakes, but it was too late. I cursed the little dog as the contents of the passenger seat slid forward onto the floor. I heard a dull thump and blinked. After clearing the site I saw his motionless body in the rear view mirror, laid out flat on its side.

I did my errand and retraced my tire tracks, driving slowly past the site where the body had lain. No body, no stains. No sign of his companion.

Had someone stopped and removed the carcass?

Had he risen from the cement and gone off?

I'll never know.

No comments:

Post a Comment